Phoulorie is a fried snack that is popular in Trinidad, so popular that a song was made about it "Kaise bani kaise bani pholourie bina chutney kaise bani" (How was pholourie made without chutney) hehehe. This guest recipe for this delicious snack was given to me by a friend of mine Pooja Verma . She mentioned it on facebook and it rekindled the memories of having hot tasty pholourie with mango chutney or tamarind chutney.Thanks for sharing this recipe Pooja Didi :). Enjoy !!!
1/2 cup split peas flour of besan
1/8 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 clove garlic peeled and minced
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1.In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix well.
2. Add enough water and mix to make a thick batter.
3. Let it rest for half an hour.
4. Heat oil in a low based pan.
5. Take a spoonful of the batter and drop it into this oil, repeat this a few times.
6. Fry until they turn golden brown and remove.
7. Serve hot with Mango or Tamarind chutney.