Continuing with our Mexican fiesta the next recipe is a guest recipe for Mexican or Spanish Rice given by Dhiral Kanabar (thanks Dhiral). The blend of spices with tomato in rice gives this dish an unforgettable flavor. Enjoy this easy Mexican Rice dish with beans and guacamole :)
1 1/2 cup Rice (Basmati or any long grain rice will do)
2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup plain tomato sauce
3 cups finely chopped garlic
1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
1/4 cup heaping of chopped cilantro
4 tbsps cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsps olive oil
Salt to taste
Lime Juice to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
2.Add chopped garlic and onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add dry rice and mix well, stir for 5-7 minutes until the rice becomes golden brown in color.
4. Add cumin powder, chilli flakes and oregano and saute for 1 minute.
5. Add broth and tomato sauce slowly into the rice and mix.
6. Add cilantro, mix and bring to a boil.
7. Once it starts boiling turn down heat to low.
8. Add lime juice and salt, mix well and taste , add more seasoning if necessary.
9. Cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork.