Baseball, Hot dogs, Chevrolet and Apple Pie are considered to be most American and the saying As American as Apple Pie is also a reflection of what is typically American. I want to present to you Gauri's Apple Pie recipe ... Enjoy a slice of this delicious Apple Pie :)
2 boxes of Pillsbury Pie Crust
8 cups or 3lbs peeled and sliced granny smith apples (any baking apple will do)
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsps butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
1. In a large bowl, toss the apples with lemon juice.
2. Combine the white sugar and brown sugar,flour,cinnamon and nutmeg in another bowl and add to the apples and toss well to coat.
3. Take the first pie crust and line into a 9 inch pie pan.
4. Fill with the apple mixture and dot with butter.
5. Take the second pie crust and cut into strips. Arrange the strips over the mixture.
(Option: Place the second pie crust on top of the pie filling and cut slits on the crust to form a vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand)
6. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and the milk and brush on top of the crust.
7. Bake at 425 F (230 C) for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to 350 F (175 C), remove the pie and cover the edges with aluminum foil so that the edges do not burn.
9. Bake for another 40-45 mins or until crust is golden.
10. Remove and serve warm.