Everyone knows that being a student away from home is tough especially when it comes to meals. Sandwiches were the easy choice for me and so many palyas from the night before were stuffed in between two slices of bread and made easy lunches. One particular palya that I enjoyed in my sandwiches was cabbage palya. I decided to take this same palya and use it as a filling for puff pastry and the combination was delicious. Give it a try you will enjoy every bite :)
Ingredients for filling:
2 cups cabbage
1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch turmeric powder
2 tsps oil
Salt to taste
Method for Cabbage Palya:
1. Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds.
2. Add turmeric powder and mix well.
3. Add cabbage, cover kadai and keeping mixing from time to time until cooked.
4. Add salt, chilli powder and mix well.
5. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
Ingredients for Pastry:
1 egg beaten in a bowl
1 sheet of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
cooled cabbage palya
2 tbsps flour
Method for Pastry:
1. Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 40 minutes or until easy to handle.
2. Heat oven to 400F.
3. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
4. Unfold pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface.
5. Cut pastry sheet into 2-3 inch rectangles.
6. Place a spoonful of the cabbage palya ont half of one rectangle and fold the rectangular pastry.
7. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg.
8. Repeat step 6 and 7 for the rest of the rectangles and place on baking sheet.
9. Place in oven for 10-15 mins or until golden brown. Serve hot !!!