Mosaranna or spiced yogurt rice is a must have in south indian homes. Mosar means yogurt or curd and anna means rice. A meal without mosaranna is usually incomplete for my Dad. It is usually served at the end of the meal as yogurt is known to have a cooling effect on the body, especially after eating a spicy meal.This recipe is pretty quick and easy and will leave you feeling refreshed.Bon Appetite :)
1 cup rice
1/4 cup yogurt
1 cup of milk
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 dried red chillies (to taste)
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
3-4 curry leaves
pinch of hing
salt to taste
2 tsps oil
1. Cook rice and add enough water for the rice to be soft
2. Remove rice into a bowl and spread it out so that it cools.
3. Add the milk and mix well with rice.
4. Add the yogurt and mix well with the milk and rice mixture.
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Add mustard seeds and red chillies.
7. When mustard seeds start to splutter add urad dal and stir until urad dal turns light brown.
8. Add curry leaves, a pinch of hing and add this to the yogurt, milk and rice mixture.
9. Add salt and pomegranate seeds and mix well.
10. Taste and add salt if necessary and serve.