Pulav is an aromatic rice dish that originate din Persia and was brought to India by the Mughals. Pulav is traditionally cooked with meat and spices but here I am using Paneer and green peas instead. Enjoy this falvourful dish with raita.:)
2 cups of basmati rice
1 cup of cubed paneer
3 green cardamom
2 bay leaves
3 2 inch pieces of cinnamon
4-5 peppercorns or whole black pepper
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
3 green chillies finely chopped
1 cup green peas
1 onion chopped
1 cup mint leaves chopped
1 cup coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp pulav masala
1 tsp chaat masala
1 green chilli finely chopped
1. Soak 2 cups of rice in 3 3/4 cups of water in a rice cooker for one hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Add cloves, cinnamon, green cardamoms and bay leaves.
4. Add cumin seeds and when they start to splutter add chopped onions and saute (don't brown).
5. Add salt and mix.
6. Add ginger and garlic paste and mix.
7. Add peppercorns and green chillies and mix.
8. Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and cook for 1 min, stir when necessary.
9. Add green peas and mix.
10. At this point you can add the chilli powder if you like.
11. Add the cumin powder and the coriander powder and salt if necessary and mix.
12. Add the pan mixture to the rice cooker, close lid and cook. (If using a pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle).
13. Heat 2 tsps oil in a pan.
14. Add paneer and shallow fry, add pulav masala, chaat masala and green chillies and a pinch of salt and mix.
14. Once the pulav is ready mix the fried paneer into pulav and serve.