|Black Bean and Quinoa Soup|
I was recently introduced to the wonderful world of Quinoa, which is available at Costco (for the American readers). I learnt that Quinoa is very high in protein with an adequate source of essential amino acids. For vegetarians, its a power house of nutrition. You can use it as a replacement for rice, grains or oats.
I experimented Quinoa with black beans to make a rich and healthy Black Bean and Quinoa Soup. This is a version from a few recipes that I found on the internet. You can try this delicious soup for dinner, enjoy!! :)
I would love to hear your comments, suggestion, tips and feedback.
1 24oz canned Black Beans
1 large onion peeled and diced
1 large tomato cubed
2 Bay leaves
1/2 cup Quinoa (can add 3/4 cup to increase thickness)
5 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
1 green chili slit (optional)
4 cups Vegetable Broth
1/4 cup corn (used frozen)
2 carrots peeled and cut into slices
1/2 cup cilantro
salt (to taste)
1 jalapeno sliced
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
4 tbsp sour cream
tortilla chips broken into pieces
1. Take a 6 quart pot and heat on medium heat.
2. Add 2 tbsps oil.
3. When oil is hot add diced onions and saute until translucent.
4. Add garlic and half of the sliced jalapenos and saute for a few mins.
5. Add green chili and bay leaf and saute for 2 mins.
6. Add carrots, corn and tomatoes and a pinch of salt and saute for 3-4 mins.
5. Add quinoa and saute for 1 min.
6. add black bean with water into pot and stir for 1 min.
7. Add 2 cups vegetable stock and mix. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 mins until quinoa is half-cooked.
8. Bring heat to a simmer and add 2 cups of vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 mins. Squeeze 1/2 a lime and mix well. Cook for 1 min.
9. Taste and salt or other seasonings if necessary. Serve with a dallop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese and tortilla chips.
Tip: Garnish with chopped avocados to complete the Mexican taste experience.