|Baby Bak Choy with Braised Shiitake Sauce|
Thanks to Christine for this awesome recipe :). Bak Choy is a very popular leafy vegetable in Trinidad and I've had it many times and love it. Usually I just add Bak Choy to pasta or saute it with garlic and green chilies. Enjoy this mouthwatering dish !
6 large shitake mushrooms
11 baby bak choys
2-3 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
1 cup Vegetable Broth
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 inch ginger (peeled and cut thin julienne)
2 tsp sugar
Salt (to taste)
1. Cut mushrooms stems and store in ziplock bag. (Can be used when making broth or soups).
2. Slice mushrooms into thin slices.
3. Chop of the bottom of the baby bak choy where the stems are connected
4. Steam veggies for 4 minutes. (You can use a double boiler or rice cooker that has a steamer or a steamer basket).
5. Whisk cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water in a bowl.
6. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
7. Add garlic and saute for 30 secs.
8. Add sliced shitake mushrooms and saute for 1 minute.
9. Add vegetable broth, sesame oil, sugar and soy sauce and saute. Reduce heat to a simmer.
10. Stir in the starch mixture.
11. Cook until the sauce thickens for 3-5 minutes. Garnish with ginger and serve hot.