|Vegetarian Corn Dogs|
Who doesn't like food on a stick such as lollipops, cotton candy, popsicles and obviously Corn Dogs. Of all food on sticks, corn dogs have always appealed the most to me. But, this dish is usually made with sausages & being a vegetarian meant I could never taste it. After unsuccessfully looking on the internet for a good recipe for Vegetarian Corn Dogs, I came up with my own version of Corn Dogs Veggie Style :). Give this yummilicous kid friendly recipe a try & leave some comments. Hope you enjoy!!! :).
The batter was inspired by Paula Dean's recipe for Corn Dogs.
Tip: Cut the Tofurkey cogs into small pieces and fry them as mini-corn dogs that you can serve as an appetizer.
1 16oz pack Tofurky dogs/sausages
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tsp ajwain (Carom Seeds)
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Heat oil in a low-based frying pan.
2. Take skewers ans place in water for 5-10 mins.
3.Take tofurky dog and cut each one into three pieces.
4. Pierce skewer into each tofurky dog.
5. In a small bowl add cornstarch.
6. Roll each tofurky dog with cornstarch and tap off the extra.
7. In a medium size bowl add cornmeal, flour, salt, ajwain and black pepper and mix well.
8. Add buttermilk and whisk well.
10. When oil is hot add one skewer of battered tofurky dog at a time.
11. Fry until golden brown (2-3 mins) and remove onto a paper towel.