Payasam is a dish that is usually made for festivals or on special occasions. Moong Dal Payasam happens to be one of my husband's favorite dishes. This payasam is a South Indian speciality. Thanks Dipta for this recipe. Its easy to make and very delicious. Enjoy!
1 cup moong dal
3/4 cup jaggery
1/2 tsp crushed cardamom
Water (as needed)
1. Heat a pan on medium heat.
2. Dry roast moong dal until golden and remove from heat.
3. In a pressure cooker add moong dal and just enough water to cover the moong dal (1 1/2 cups).
4. In a pot add jaggery and 1/2 cup water (as needed) until the water covers the jaggery heat and stir until melted. Tip: Syrup has to be a sticky consistency.
5. Add Jaggery syrup to pressure cooked moong dal and mix well in low heat.
6. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
7. Take a shallow pan and heat.
8. Add ghee and when hot add raisins and add to payasam. Serve hot!