My Mom is an amazing cook and like Moms do she makes anything that my brother and I ask for. One of her best savoury dishes was Maddur Vade. She makes the most delicious maddur vades and would always get requests to make them for parties or temple melas. I made this for Diwali this year using her recipe and as expected it was a big hit. Thanks Mom for everything you have done for me ... I love you :) Enjoy my Mom's delicious and crunchy Maddur Vade :)
Serves: 25 pieces
1 cup Cream of Wheat or Semolina
1 cup flour
1 cup rice flour
1 onion peeled and chopped (small cubes)
3 sprigs curry leaves (chopped finely)
2 tbps Red Chilli Powder (to taste)
Salt to taste
parchment paper or zip-lock bag
Oil for frying
1. Heat 5-6 cups of oil to fry.
2. Take a large bowl and mix cream of wheat, flour and rice flour together.
3. Add chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, salt and chilli powder to the flour mixture and mix well.
4. Take 2 handfuls of the mixture and heap it to one side of the bowl.
5. Add one teaspoon of hot oil to the heaped mixture and mix.
6. Add a little bit of water and mix to form a ball.
7. Take a small piece and place onto a piece of parchment paper or ziplock bag and press to form into a circle.
8. Continue this process until you make enough to fit your frying pan.
9. Fry until golden brown.
10. Remove and serve either hot or cold.