Beetroot is one of my favourite veggies and I thought of making something different other than the regular beetroot palya or rasam. I chose to make a simple yet tasty Beetroot Rice. The use of beetroot in any dish adds a subtle sweetness to the dish and therefore I balanced that with garam masala. Enjoy this tasty and nutritious dish with a side of raita or just by itself, it is good either way :)
1 medium sized beetroot peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 cup basmati rice
4 green chillies (to taste)
2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
2 tbsps chopped mint
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to Taste
1. Measure 1 cup of rice and wash. Add 2 cups of water and rice in a rice cooker and cook.
2. Heat oil in a low-based pan on medium.
3. Add onions and saute until translucent.
4. Add garlic and saute.
5. Slit green chillies and add to pot and saute for 2-3 mins.
6. Add beetroot and saute until tender and cooked.
7. Add salt and mix well.
8. Add garam masala, mint and mix well.
9. Add rice after it is cooked and mix well. Taste for salt and add more if required. Serve hot.