A tribute to my Grandfather who passed away recently, this was his favourite sweet dish. Thatha you will be greatly missed, and your memories will be cherished forever.
2 cups almonds
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup ghee
1 cup milk
2-3 strands saffron
1. Soak almonds overnight in water or add hot water to almonds and soak for 3-4 hours.
2. Peel the skin of the almonds.
3. Put almonds in a mixer and pour milk and grind into a coarse paste.
4. Heat a pot on medium heat and add ghee to it.
5. Add ground almond paste and mix.
6. Add sugar and mix well.
7. Keep stirring continuously.
8. Take a tbsp of milk and heat in the microwave.
9. Add saffron strands into hot milk and leave for 2-3 mins.
10. Add the saffron strands with the milk into the almond mixture and mix well.
11. Keep stirring constantly until the halwa stops sticking to the pot and almost comes together like a ball.
12. Grease a pan and remove halwa into the pan.
13. Apply ghee on top of the halwa and smoothen.
14. Leave to cool and serve.