I only got to know of lima beans after coming to the US and only recently found ways to cook them. Lima beans are very healthy in nature as they are loaded with protein and dietary fibre. Lima Beans are said to lower the risk of heart attack and stabilize blood sugar. This dish can be eaten with either rice or chappatis. Enjoy :)
16 oz or 2 cups of Lima Beans
1 small onion diced
3 large cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger or ginger paste
1 pinch of hing or asafoetida
1 cup tomatoes finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp dhania powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps oil
1 cup water
Green chillies finely chopped to taste
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil on medium heat in an uncovered pressure cooker.
2. Add mustard seeds and when they start to splutter add cumin seeds.
3. When cumin seeds splutter add hing.
4. Add turmeric powder and stir.
5. Add onions and cook until translucent.
6. Add garlic, ginger and green chillies and mix. Cook for 1 min, stirring occassionally.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and salt and cook until tomatoes are mashed.
8. Add garam masala, chilli powder, dhania powder, cumin powder and mix. Cook until the water is almost evaporated from the tomatoes.
9. Add lima beans and water and mix.
10. Cover and cook until one whistle. Turn of heat.
11. Uncover pressure cooker when pressure is gone and mix. Taste and add salt or masalas if necessary.