Baingan Bharta is a dish that originated in the villages of Punjab. Baingan Bharta is low in fat and sodium and high in dietary fiber. Eggplant are roasted in this recipe to get a smoky flame. A popular dish that is everyone's favourite... enjoy :)
1 large eggplant
1 onion chopped (add more to taste)
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 inch ginger crushed
4 cloves garlic crushed
2 green chillies chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder (to taste)
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsps oil
Salt to taste
1. Take large eggplant and smear it with oil.
2. Place eggplant on a tray and back in an oven at 500 F until completely cooked (15-20 mins).
3. Remove charred eggplant and drop in cold water. This helps the skin peel easily. Peel skin and cut off the stem and mash the pulp thouroughly.
4. Heat oil on medium flame in a pan and add cumin seeds.
5. Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute for 1 min.
6. Add onions and a little salt, saute until translucent.
7. Add green chillies and stir for 1 min and then add turmeric powder and mix.
8. Add chopped tomato and a little salt and mix.
9. Add cumin powder, coriander powder and mix.
10. Cook on a low flame until tomato pieces get cooked and mashed and oil seperates from the mixture.
11. Add mashed eggplant into the pan and mix.
12. Add chilli powder and mix. Taste and add salt if necessary.