As I mentioned before in the Cabbage and Soya chunks recipe soya chunks are an excellent source of protein, fiber, magnesium and iron. In this recipe we are going to stew the soya chunks by caramelizing it. Kids will enjoy this dish because of its sweet and sour taste, my nephew ate it on sunday and he kept asking for more. Enjoy :)
1/2 pack soya chunks/vadi
2 tbsps brown sugar
1/4 cup green peas
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup celery chopped
3 cloves peeled and chopped
1 spring onion chopped
2 green chillies (to taste)
2 tbsps oil
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
Salt to taste
1. Boil water in a pot and add Soya chunks. Take off heat and stir occasionally until cooked. Strain, squeeze and keep aside.
2.Grind celery, cilantro, green chillies, spring onion, chopped onion, chopped garlic and salt.
3. Add grounded mixture to soya and season soya.
3. Heat oil in a low-based pan and add brown sugar.
4. When sugar melts and starts to bubble in the oil, add seasoned soya chunks and ketchup into pan and mix. Cook for 2-3 mins.
5. Add peas and carrots and mix. Cook for 4-5 mins.
6. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 mins.
7. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Goes well with macaroni pie, chappatis or fried rice.