Cabbage and Soyachunks Rice
Soybean chunks are an excellent source of protein, fiber, magnesium and iron. The key to getting soybean chunks to taste good is to season it well before using. Bon Appetit :)
1 cup Basmati Rice (you can use any type of rice)
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup soya chunks
1 bay leaf
3-4 curry leaves
1 tbsp grated coconut
2 tbsps oil/ghee
1/4 tsp jeera
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato pureed (you can use tomato paste)
1 tsp dhania powder
1/2 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsps chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
1. Boil about 2 cups of water and turn off the gas. Add the soybean chunks and mix occasionally until cooked. When cooled, drain off the water, squeeze out the soya chunks.
2. Season the soya chunks with salt, a little dhania and a little chili powder and set aside.
3. In a pressure cooker, add oil when hot add jeera and bay leaf and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add the garlic and onion and stir until the onions are translucent.
5. Add the curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add cabbage and cook on medium until cabbage is slightly tender, for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the grated coconut, dhania powder, chili powder, amchur powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Add the rice, soybean chunks and tomato puree and mix well.
9. Add the chopped coriander and 2 cups of water.
10. Mix well and taste and add salt and chilli powder if necessary.
11. Pressure cook for about 3 whistles until the rice is cooked. Mix again and serve hot.
This dish goes well with raita and pickle.