For all you Okra lovers out there, here is a quick, easy and tasty recipe. This recipe can be made using fresh bhindi or frozen. The delicious combination of spices and besan in the gravy leaves you wanting more. Kadhi Bhindi can be served with rice or chappatis. Enjoy this mouthwatering dish :)
2 cups Yogurt
1/2 cup besan or gram flour
3 cloves garlic peeled
1 tsp ginger
3-4 green chillies (to taste)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp methi seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 cup okra cut into bite size circles
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp hing
Salt (to taste)
1. Put ginger, garlic and green chilies in a mixer and grind to a paste.
2. Pour yogurt into a mixing bowl.
3. Add gram flour and mix well (make sure there are no lumps).
4. Add green chili, ginger and garlic paste, salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
5. Take a low based pan and heat oil on medium heat.
6. Add red chillies, mustard seeds, methi seeds and cumin seeds.
7. When mustard seeds and cumin seeds start to splutter add hing and stir.
8. Add curry leaves and hing and saute.
9. Add chopped okra and saute until cooked (tip: cook until slightly crisp).
10. Add besan and yogurt mixture into pan and mix well.
11. Cook on medium heat for 10 mins, mixing intermittently.
12. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve hot.