Happy New Year to all and I thank you for your support and comments ... here is to another year of Happy Cooking ... I hope my blog keeps adding sugar and spice to your life :)
With all the cold weather we have been experiencing a bowl of hot soup is the best thing to keep the cold away. Tomato Soup is one of the popular Indo-Chinese soups found in restaurants throughout India. The best thing about this recipe is that it is made with ingredients that you probably have at home right now. Enjoy this steamy and delicious soup and kiss the cold good bye :).
Ingredients for Tomato Soup:
3 medium sized tomatoes diced
1/2 a small onion chopped
1/2 carrot chopped
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 can of swanson vegetable broth
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp butter
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
salt to taste
Method for Tomato Soup:
1. Heat butter in a pot.
2. Add cumin seeds.
3. When cumin seeds start to splutter add chopped garlic and saute.
4. Add chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
5. Add chopped celery and saute for 1 min.
6. Add chopped green bell pepper and saute for 1 min.
7. Add chopped carrots and saute for 2-3 mins.
8. Add chopped tomatoes and 1 tsp of salt and saute for 3-4 mins.
9. Add dried basil leaves and mix.
10. Add 1/2 of the vegetable broth, mix and bring to a boil.
11. Pour into a blender and make a puree.
12. Pour puree into pan and add the rest of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, add water if you want a more liquid consistency.
13. Taste and add more salt or ground black pepper if necessary.
Ingredients for home-made croutons:
2 slices of whole wheat multi-grain bread (any kind will do)
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp butter
Method for croutons:
1. Preheat oven on 300 F.
2. Melt butter in a pan.
3. Add parsley into pan and mix with butter.
4. Spread on both sides of the bread slices.
5. Place bread slices on a baking sheet and place in oven for 5-8 mins or until crisp. 6. Remove from oven and wait for it to cool.
7. Cut bread into 1 inch pieces.
8. Add croutons to hot soup and serve.
Note: Usually red colouring is added while grinding to give the red colour. I omitted this from my recipe hence the orangish colour.