Pav Bhaji is a popular fast food dish which is native to Maharashtra but is now found in all metropolitan cities in India.Pav in marathi means bread which originates from the word pao, the portugese word for bread. It is usually eaten as a snack between lunch and dinner and if in India you can get the authentic taste of pav bhaji when you buy from the pav bhaji chi gaadi or the roadside carts. It is high in carbohydrates and fat (depending on the amount of butter you use) and is an Indian comfort food. Enjoy this mouth watering dish and you can take care of the carbs by making an extra run to the gym. Happy Cooking :)
4 medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into halves
2 carrots cut into halves
5-6 cauliflower florets
2 medium sized bell peppers diced
1 cup peas
3-4 tomatoes cubed
2 1/2 onions chopped
2 tsp crushed garlic or garlic paste
1-2 tsps red chilli powder (to taste)
2 tsps pav bhaji masala
1 1/2 tbsps butter
1 pack hamburger buns or pav
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves chopped to garnish
1. Put potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and peas into a pressure cooker, add enough water to cover vegetables and close and cook for 2-3 three whistles (until vegetables are cooked, depends on the pressure cooker).
2. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Mash pressure cooked vegetables.
4. Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp butter.
5. Add garlic and saute, add 2 chopped onions and saute until translucent.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and salt and saute for 2-3 mins, stirring occassionally).
7. Add chopped bell peppers and saute.
8. Add pav bhaji masala (I use Everest) and chilli powder and mix well. Cook until you see the oil seperate from the mixture.
9. Add cooked vegetables and mix well, cook for 1 min.
10. Add water (1-2 cups or to desired consistency) and bring to a boil.
11. Taste and add salt or chilli powder if necessary.
12. Squeeze half to a whole lime's juice into bhaji and mix well.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves and onions.
1. Heat a tava or a skillet.
2. Apply butter on buns or pav (Optional).
3. Place buttered buns or pav on tava and roast both sides until golden brown and serve.