Vegetarian Chilli ??? I know what you must be thinking ... how can those two words be in the same sentence and yet taste good. This is actually my husband's prize winning recipe which he made last tuesday night and it was absolutely delicious. I thought I just have to put it up on the blog and share it with you all. Bon Apetite.
2 tbsps canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 tbsps minced garlic
2-3 haberno peppers
1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small pieces
2 cups fresh corn kernels
1 1/2 lbs portobello mushrooms stemmed and cubed
2 tbsps chilli powder
1 tbsp jeera powder
3 large tomatoes chopped
1 bay leaf
3 green cardamoms
1 small piece of cinnamon
2 cups black beans soaked overnight
1 cup red kidney beans soaked overnight
1 cup vegetable stock
Chopped spring onions to garnish
Chopped Cliantro to garnish
Salt to taste
1. In a pressure cooker add washed black beans and kidney beans and fill just enough water to cover the beans.
2. Add a slit haberno pepper, salt in pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
3. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat.
4. Chop the rest of the haberno peppers.
5. Add the cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon and bay leaf and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add the onions, chopped haberno peppers, garlic and saute until cooked.
7. Add the zucchini, bell peppers, corn and mushrooms and cook until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges.
8. Add the tomatoes and stir well.
9. Add the chilli powder, jeera powder, salt and mix.
10. Add the pressure cooked black beans and red kidney beans and stir.
11. Add Vegetable stock stir and bring to a boil.
12. Reduce the heat to low and simmer stirring occassionally for about 25 mins. Taste and add salt if necessary and mix.
13. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and chopped spring onions and serve.