During my last trip to India I dined at two Rajasthani Restaurants and really enjoyed the cuisine. Thought of trying it out and so I chose this tasty but easy recipe for Kala Channa. This goes very well with Puris. Enjoy :)
1 cup Black Channa (Chickpeas)
3 tbsp Ghee
3 Green Cardamoms
1 inch piece Cinnamon
1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
1 onion chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Chaat Masala
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
2 tsp Dhania Powder
3-4 Green chillies chopped
1 1/2 cups Yogurt (Plain)
2 tbsps Besan (Gram Flour)
Salt to Taste
1. Soak the black channa in water overnight.
2. Drain and pressure cook the next day with just enough water to cook the channa through.
3. Heat ghee in a pan.
4. Add jeera, cardamom, clove and cinnamon.
5. When the jeera begins to splutter add hing and chopped onions and green chillies and saute till onions are translucent.
6. In a bowl pour yogurt and mix besan, chilli powder, garam masala,dhania powder, chaat masala and turmeric. Make a smooth paste.
7. Add this to the pan and mix well.
8. Add a cup of water (I use the water the channa was pressured cooked in) and stir.
9. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for a minute.
10. Add the black channa and season with salt and mix.
11. Bring to a simmering boil.