Beetroot is good for the health of the heart as it contains soluble fibre which can help to reduce high blood cholesterol levels. It is virtually fat free and low in calories. Rasam is a South Indian dish that can be eaten with rice or as a soup. My Mom used to make this all the time and it became one of my favourite rasams.This is definitely a must try because it is delicious :)
2 beetroots peeled and chopped
1 green chilli slit
2 tbsps coconut shredded
10 cloves garlic peeled
tamarind (small lemon size)
2 red chillies
2 tbsps rasam powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 pinch haldi
1 tsp oil
1. Soak tamarind in hot water.
2. Pressure cook beetroot with a pinch of salt and water.
3. Grind cooked beetroot with rasam powder, coconut and a little water into a fine paste.
4. Boil tamarind extract with salt, haldi and green chilli.
5. Add the ground beetroot mixture to this and mix.
6. Add 1 cup of water to bring to a rasam consistency.
7. Fry garlic cloves in little oil till they r golden brown/crispy and add to the rasam. Note: More garlic..better taste, better health!!!
8. For Seasoning, heat 1 tsp of oil & add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds & 1 red chilli. When it splutters, pour it over the rasam.