I am always looking for different kind of vadas or pakoras since my husband really enjoys them. I saw this recipe for moongdal vada and thought I'd give it a try. The combination of cilantro, ginger pieces, curry leaves, spring onion and onions make it extremely soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Give it a try and I guarantee you will enjoy it :)
2 cups split moongdal (split green gram)
1 small onion diced
1 spring onion chopped
2 tsps cumin seeds
1 inch peeled and chopped ginger
1 tbsp crushed green chilli (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped curry leaves
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
1. Soak the 2 cups of moongdal in water for an hour.
2. Using as little water as possible, grind the moongdal and crushed green chillis into a coarse paste.
3. Take a low-base pan and heat oil for frying.
4. In a bowl add the paste,cumin seeds, chopped cilantro, chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped ginger, chopped spring onions and salt and mix.
5. Form the mixed paste in the shape of cutlets or patties and add to the hot oil.
6. Fry until brown and remove. Serve while hot with green chutney or ketchup or tamarind chutney.