A perfect accompaniment to Dosas, Idlis and vadas.
4 tbsps grated coconut
2 tsps dalia or roasted channa dal or bengal gram dal
1 inch piece ginger peeled
4 tbsps fresh coriander chopped
4 green chillies chopped (to taste)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp hing or asafoetida powder
4 curry leaves
1 red chilli cut into pieces
2 tbsps oil
Salt to taste
1. Grind the roasted channa dal, grated coconut, ginger, coriander, green chillies and salt.
2. Pour the chutney into a bowl and add water for desired consistency.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
4. Then add urad dal,red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
5. Fry for 2 mins or until the urad dal turns brown and pour on the chutney. Taste and add salt if necessary.